Sunday, January 24, 2021

Pesachim 68 - Where is the resurrection of the dead in the Torah?

It says in the Torah, "I put to death and I make live,"  and it continues, "I have wounded, and I will heal." You could say that some people die while some other people come alive. However, just as healing only applies to the person who had been previously wounded, so too, life applies to that one who had previously died. Incidentally, we also see the order of the events: at first, "what I had put to death, I will make live," and then - "what I have wounded, I will heal." Who will be doing the resurrection? - It's the righteous, with their staffs, hinting at the staff of Elisha who "placed it on the face of the boy."

The page also deals with removing a wart, which represents a temporary blemish on the Passover sacrifice.

Art: St Anthony of Padua Healing a Youth by Sebastiano Ricci 


No comments: