Sunday, August 5, 2012

Lion and Dove

The juxtaposition of a lion and a dove leaves little doubt that Shakespeare in his Midsummer Night's Dream was transmitting the same mystical knowledge that is imparted here in the Talmud. Just compare:

BOTTOM

Let me play the lion too: I will roar, that I will do any man's heart good to hear me; I will roar, that I will make the duke say 'Let him roar again, let him roar again.'

QUINCE

An you should do it too terribly, you would fright the duchess and the ladies, that they would shriek; and that were enough to hang us all.

ALL

That would hang us, every mother's son.

BOTTOM

I grant you, friends, if that you should fright the ladies out of their wits, they would have no more discretion but to hang us: but I will aggravate my voice so that I will roar you as gently as any sucking dove; I will roar you an 'twere any nightingale.

2 comments:

dharmama said...

Lovely thought!

Mark Kerzner said...

Thank you, why do you think it interesting?